Friday, March 2, 2012

Civil Society

I first remember hearing the term civil society when I was in my Economics of sub-Saharan Africa class, senior year at OSU.  I didn't like how the word sounded.  Made me think of white table cloths and British accents.  Both things are not on the top of my supercool list.  Yesterday, I satdown with the Director of Scouts in the Limpopo Province. We were talking about expanding Scouting in my area over a nice coldrink (pop).  As we talked, the importance of civil society really struck at home.

I have been in contact with this guy, Andrew Tanner, since December 2011.  He came to one of our Peace Corps trainings and talked about starting Scouts in our villages.  I started organizing Peace Corps Volunteers, getting adult volunteers in my village, and wrote a grant.  I kept Andrew up-to-date on all of this and was excited to be working with someone who wanted to improve his country even living over 5 hours away, in a much different environment. 

Then I found out that he was doing all his Scout work as a volunteer.  I was shocked.  How could someone motivate adults to want to start a local troop, train those adults, check in on those adults, and find new ways to expand.  Where have I seen this before?  Oh yeah, in Berea, Strongsville, and Parma, Ohio. 

My whole life I have been surrounded by volunteers.  People that worked hard to "put food on the table" from 8-5 and then spent their 5-9 improving the lives of those around them because they knew it was in their best interest too.  People that knew if they didn't do, then maybe nobody would.  People that saw a need and provided a service they best they could.

I think of the great Scout leaders I had in my Mom, Dad, Mrs. Astorino, Mr. Matej, Mr. Anthony, Mr. Bowen, Mr. Ivcic.  I think of my coaches in Mr. Astorino, Mr. Bentz, Mr. Heitz, Coach Hubbler, Coach Skoczen, Coach Ryan, Coach Kirk, Coach Z.  These were people that wanted happiness and knew the only to it was through imoproving the lives of the people around them.  What better way is there to improve the lives of the people around you then through teaching a skill to a child? 

Think about it.  You teach a skill to a child, you make parents happy.  You teach a skill to a child and they're not only happy but they can teach it to someone else, use that skill to create something new, and have another weapon to take on this world.

Maybe you'll teach a silly accent or dinner etiquette, but civil society always has room to grow.  It's a good thing.  It's a needed thing.  So have fun.  Do something great.

(super brief and not previewed.  please forgive mistakes)

No comments:

Post a Comment