Friday, September 21, 2012

I saw cave paintings




Yes I did, but first I saw Phiphidi Waterfall with Phil Smoke! Phil came and visited me in Venda back in late June and we embarked on a trip through Venda. After chilling in my village, eating fresh chicken and dried worms, we kicked things off proper with the waterfall and hike through the stream of the fall. It was sweet. Mad rocks to climb and perfect relaxing spots to talk. Two of my other Peace Corps friends, James and Kyle joined too.




Then we went to Lake Fundudzi. Sorry commoners, but you can't look directly at the sacred lake and I forgot to hold a camera while looking through my legs. We actually had a nice hike out to the lake and split a chicken loaf of bread between Phil, 5 other PCVs, and myself.

The next day, we cooked bread in a termite hill. There is a long history I could write about the folks that trekked across South Africa and used cooking methods like this, but maybe another time.




After a good rest and some bread, we went and saw some San cave paintings. Pretty sweet. One was of an elephant that I told everyone I saw but didn't really. They assured me it was there and I agreed. I knew my peanut butter sandwich wouldn't be as good if I kept fighting it.



It must have been the cave paintings, but we felt ambitious and did a second leg of our hike to see another "waterfall." This translated into following a pipe and getting lost. We figured we could just go straight down to the train track. Bad idea. After a few eight foot drops and crawling between rocks, we made it back safely.

Cut short.

No comments:

Post a Comment