Friday, April 26, 2013

Got to Save it Somewhere

Hey loved ones,

I've been doing pretty solid. Scouts troop is nearing what I would classify as functioning. I need to make a separate post from our camp. Maybe I'll copy and paste the article I wrote for the Peace Corps newsletter? I've been teaching English and, after a year of more observation than teaching, I am realizing how much of a difference a committed teacher makes in the classroom. Thank you teachers! Keep smiling. Keep working your butt off. Tomorrow I am heading to my shopping town to pick up around 500 books to put them in the abandon building and get the ball rolling on the library. Entering the unknown. I've decided to stay in South Africa for another year with Peace Corps, working with the School of Education at the University of Venda. That should be a separate post too. Oh, but the reason I started this!

In July, we are doing a science camp in my village. The idea is to have my really smart Peace Corps friends come to my village for a week, spend two days training some secondary students (mostly the Scouts) in experiments, then run a 5 day camp with primary school kids. This way the secondary kids are learning and leading while the little ones are learning and experiencing and it all is under the supervision of solid people. I may even get one of the teachers to volunteer some of their vacation time! Don't worry, I'm making a separate site for this whole effort. Ah, the actual reason for this post!

So I needed to save some images somewhere of shirts that I have designed for the camp. There really isn't much funding that I have found for science stuff at the primary level. Learning science in a fun, hands on approach could make a world of difference for my learners. There is no Great Lakes Science Center like there is in Cleveland and most of the teachers lack the equivalence of anything beyond a high school degree, so there is no real exploration of science. Students exposure to science is copying notes from the board after a teacher copied the notes from a book.

Enough babbling. I'll save that for a more formal site. The shirts are below. Do you like red, grass, slate or navy? Let me know your vote. Ask your co-workers. Ask you granny. Yell at someone from your house, have them come in, give them some tea and let them choose one.

FrontBack
FrontBack
FrontBack
FrontBack

The quote on the back is, "Science does not know its debt to imagination. Emerson."

The plan is to charge a price for the shirts that matches the cost of a shirt for a learner and some of the camp's expenses. Super excited!

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment