Friday, August 5, 2011

Day 2 of School


                This was the day we were actually supposed to shadow a teacher.  Initially I was bummed they switched classrooms on me because I wanted to talk more to the 33 year veteran teacher.  I entered the new 5th grade class and was warmly greeted.  I sat down and observed an English class.  This teacher took a more student centered approach, and again, the students’ eagerness was present but there seemed to be more genuine thought going on.  The teacher allowed students’ time for thinking and asked created questions outside of the presented text.

                It was clear that this teacher really wanted to improve her craft through her efforts of trying approaches outside of the book.  After the lesson, she approached me and asked me how I thought the lesson went.  I gave her some feedback and seemed receptive to the feedback.  When I found out she had only been teaching three years, I could clearly see why she seemed more flexible. 

1 comment:

  1. Great stories of the first day of school Sean - I love it! Keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete